Monday, October 27, 2008
Compassion International
I cried my way through the Compassion International magazine this morning. Their focus was on the global poverty crisis, and they spoke of children in Ethiopia being fortunate to get one meal a day. Ok, I know that Ethiopia seems to be cliche for drought and other issues, but the magazine was saying that this one is even worse than the problems they had in the '80s...and they're receiving less help. I would imagine that is due to the global economic crisis.
I held my very healthy sleeping baby boy in my arms as I read and cried. How we forget that these simple things we take for granted -- being able to feed our children and ourselves more than enough -- are huge blessings from the Lord Almighty. There but for the grace of God go I.
Compassion International is an amazing organization who puts the highest percentage of sponsorship monies toward the children -- not advertising or paying for their costs. I have sponsored two children to adulthood, and we are now sponsoring a little girl in Kenya, Serphine. She is beautiful and doing great! November 7 there is a Mercy Me concert at Quail Creek Church here in Amarillo. I have the wonderful privilege to be a volunteer at the Compassion booth. I would love to see you there! Please, would you prayerfully consider sponsoring one of these children around the world who has no one to be an advocate on their behalf? I was reading in Proverbs today and it talked about those who gave much had more, but the wicked gave nothing and lost all that they had. (No, I'm not labeling you "wicked" if you don't sponsor a child. What you do with your wealth is between you and God. This is just one area He has laid on my heart.)
Blessings on your day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I have been donating to Compassion International for about 5 years now, and I love it! I recently got a new boy because my original one was doing SO good (his family too) that he was taken off of their list. Actually, I consider that a praise that they no longer needed assistance. :)
ReplyDelete