Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Words -- the post I was going to write

I was going to write about words...how they sound, how they feel in my mouth, the emotions and visualizations that they evoke bring me comfort and joy.  I found a book a few years ago, West with the Night, written by a woman who was a pilot in British East Africa in the 1930's.  Nobody writes like that anymore!  The "poetic prose" were so meaty and filled with imagery.  With her writing, I could see it...smell it....taste it...hear it.  It's so very beautiful it makes me ache when I chew it, for chew it I must.  There is too much to simply read.

Unfortunately, the post that I crafted in my mind in the twilight moments approaching sleep has departed with my dreams.  sigh.

I've always loved words and using a plethora of multisyllabic $64 phrases makes me smile.  I do remember, at the age of 14, turning words over and over in my mouth to get the full 360 degree feeling.  It was all well and good until I was helping my dad in his workshop on the back porch and he asked me for a screw. 
"Screw...screw...screw." I repeated.  "I like how the word feels in my mouth."
My dad's response, "You probably shouldn't say that."
My naivete -- I had no idea that what I was saying was more than a simple tool.  hee hee

Words.  aahhh, how I love them.

2 comments:

  1. hahaha I can picture Uncle Dennis saying that! I love your blogs Carrie, you should definitely keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amanda! :-) Can't wait to see you. Praying for your family. Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete